The necessity to create an establishment that is capable of answering religious and cultural needs of the Iranian community in Toronto area has always been felt due to the ever-increasing growth of this community. Therefore, in order to meet this need, Islamic Iranian Centre of Imam Ali (a.s.) with the help of God, along with spiritual and financial support of Iranians, and independent of any political group, was established in February 2000 by Dr. Seyed Muhammad Kazem Mesbah Moosavi with assistance of his wife, Mrs. Ameneh Mottaghi.
As a social base, this centre has been unique in understanding and answering the religious and social needs of respected Iranians. It has also been able to act as a spiritual and religious support for the people who are far from their own cultural and social roots and their home countries. Despite its own short life, this place could be considered a valuable gift to the community that provides a great chance to families to familiarize their children with Islamic teachings of the Iranian culture.
The Islamic Iranian Centre of Imam Ali (a.s) has a wide range of goals for satisfying the religious and cultural needs of the Iranian community. One of the major objectives of the centre is the availability of social and cultural services. This involves the outstanding voluntary participation of Iranians weekly in the centre. The success of the centre depends on the increasing attraction of and support from Iranians and Muslims from other communities. In addition, the services of the centre and participation of Muslims are mutually dependent as well.
The long-term goals of the mosque are still being studied and planned by the experts and advisors of the centre. The Islamic Iranian Centre is benefited from cooperation and inspirations of professionals, doctors, engineers and businesspersons who co-operate with the mosque voluntarily as advisors and executives in different subcommittees of the centre.
Furthermore, pursuing the goals of the centre and its continued success would be impossible without financial support; especially since this centre has always been dependant on the support and financial aid of benevolently and has no other source of help except from Allah (s.w.t.).
The goals of the Centre
- Familiarizing the Iranian Muslim society particularly, the youth, with Islamic teachings
- Strengthening the family units by emphasizing its values and responsibilities
- Preserving the identity of religious culture in the Iranian community in order to avoid self-alienation
- Strengthening the social relations in the Iranian society
- Providing consultation and offering services to meet other needs of Iranians based on our capabilities
- Helping the respected Muslims in time of death of their loved ones
- Funeral services
- Helping the Muslims and non-Muslims who are needy and poor
- Guiding the new comers in finding jobs and other needs
- Resolving family disputes
- Having classes for children and teens
- Quran classes
Programs already in progress
The current programs of the centre presently are various in nature and are welcomed by a large group of Iranians. The social and cultural services and programs are as follows:
A) The Thursday nights session
This occasion is organized based on four goals:
- Interaction with Allah (s.w.t.) and enhancing spiritual feelings
- Familiarization with Islamic thoughts and teachings
- Response to questions
- Preservation of the Iranian Islamic identity accompanied by creating a sense of belonging to the Iranian society in order to prevent alienation and its consequences such as depression.
The program is in the following order:
- Praying in Jamaat (praying in group)
- Dua Kumail
- Speech (Dr. Sayed Mohammad Kazem Mesbah Moosavi and guests)
- Programs on various religious occasions
- Questions and Answers
- Serving dinner and friendly meetings
B) Educational programs
- Islamic teachings, including lessons on Islamic thought and teachings of Quran for different ages held on Thursdays (same time as Thu. nights program).
- Discussion classes held on Thursdays for teens aged 12 to 16 (same time as Thu. nights program).
- Youth meetings are another goal of the Centre. To be held on Thursdays (same time as Thu. nights program).
- Programs just for women that include dua and Quran recited by anyone who volunteers, lecture, questions and answers session, and dinner. This program is held on the first Wednesday of every lunar month from 4-7 p.m.
C) Other services offered to the Iranian Families
- Marriage Consultation
- Ceremonies for engagements and weddings held in Islamic Iranian Centre of Imam Ali (a.s.)
- Official translation of government documents, marriage certificates, etc.
- Taking care of and visiting patients who are sick
- Taking care of pregnant women in times of delivery in case of the absence of their relatives
- Job fair
- Psychotherapy through consultation with professional psychologists and experts
- Other religious ceremonies such as:
- Ceremony for the teenage puberty (Jashn-e-takleef)
- Ceremony for death of Muslims
- Complete funeral services
D) Organizing different occasions and ceremonies
There are ceremonies that are organized in Eids, Vafats, and Viladats throughout the year. This is to familiarize Iranian Muslims with the Iranian culture, history of Islam, and values based upon the teachings and sayings of the Quran and Ahlul-Bayt.